Biocore offers two application options:
1. Freshman Admission: Biocore typically begins in the sophomore year, however Biocore offers a freshman start for a small cohort (~10) of well prepared, highly motivated first year students. Students who wish to start Biocore as freshmen need to apply prior to SOAR. Please see the Freshman Admission page for details.
2. Regular Admission: This option is available for all students taking Chem 103 and 104, Chem 109/109H, or Chem 115 during your freshman year and who would like to begin Biocore the fall of your sophomore year.
- Math 221 (first semester calculus or equivalent)
- Chem 104, 109, or 115 (first year freshman chemistry)
- Previous or concurrent enrollment in Chem 343 (organic chemistry)
- Student record in PDF form: This can be obtained from the registrar's office (https://myinfo.wisc.edu) OR on the Student center under "My Academics" and "Request my student record."
- Personal statement: Describe something that inspires you or something that you have learned recently. Previous student have written about hobbies, athletic experiences, community service, books, music, TED talks, etc. This doesn’t need to be grand, but it’s your chance to tell us about your challenges and growth as a learner. Try to tell us something new other than what we can find in your transcript. Personal statements should be no more than 400 words.
The Biocore Fall 2018 Application is HERE. If you plan to take Biocore, do NOT take Biology 151 or 152. If you are considering taking Biology 152 in the spring of 2018, apply before January 5, 2018. We can review your application materials and inform you of your acceptance prior to the start of spring semester so you can adjust your course schedule.
Regular application deadline is March 2, 2018. However, applications submitted after this deadline will still be considered (space permitting).
You can check out a sample Biocore application. Note: This is just a sample. Do NOT fill out this application.
Questions about Biocore?
- For questions about admissions, contact Janet Batzli (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- For questions about the student experience, contact our team of peer advisors (email@example.com)
- Answers to Frequently Asked Questions FAQs